Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BWCA trip

I'm a bit behind on my blogging and haven't written anything since camp, so I'm going to try to catch up this weekend.

During August, my Dad, brothers and I all went camping in the BWCA. It was quite a fun trip for me because I am already it good shape from camp. I had already spent 30-40 hours in a canoe this summer, so the canoe was second nature and just plain fun. I was also in good enough shape that I was able to carry a pack and a canoe over a portage in one trip. Perhaps the best way to capture the trip is not by describing it but by showing some pictures.

This is all of the gear at one end of a portage. We had to pull it all out of the water and carry it over the portage.

Here, Jeremy demonstrates how to carry a canoe. Note he also also carrying a pack. Together, they probably add up to ~70 lbs.

This was my favorite portage, because it was short and it was quite pretty. It was on a stream and it was just there to get around some rocks and waterfalls.

Benjamin and I were canoe partners for the week. He made a solid power house. We meant to teach him how to steer, but didn't really get around to it, so I was in back all week.

There was a fire ban in effect for a lot of the week, but we were able to have one fire, which was really nice.

Overall, the BWCA is quite a beautiful place.

No comments: